Monday, May 30, 2011

A bumper 'crop'


We returned to Australia on 31 December and I harvested the wheat a week later. It came in at 4.95 tonnes per hectare – a very respectable yield! All I did was sow, weed once and then harvest six months later.

Of course it was an extraordinarily favourable season, although I was surprised to get such a high yield with no added fertiliser, especially after very little had been applied to the previous crop. In addition there were 45 days with high potential leaching (see red lines on last post). Unfortunately I have no idea how deep the roots went.

1 comment:

Darren (Green Change) said...

Hi Richard, that looks like a great crop! How much wheat did you get from the beds in the photo?

Yeah, I know, I could do the math, but I'm both curious and lazy this morning! :-)